Since U.S. Southerners are especially known for some colorful, unusual expressions, we've consulted with a few our editors who hail from south of the Mason-Dixon line for their favorite down-home witticisms.
1. Sly as a three-legged fox [Unusually clever, can get out of any situation.]
2. Jesus Christ on roller skates! [Expression of extreme frustration or surprise.]
3. Tetchy [touchy] as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs [Extremely nervous.]
4. Happy as a dead pig in the sunshine [Doesn't know what's going on, and doesn't care.]
5. In high cotton [Coming up in the world.]
6. In a coon's age [Occurring rarely or infrequently.]
7. Sun don't shine on the same dog's tail all the time. [The tables will turn; you'll get what you deserve someday.]
8. Well, shut my mouth! [I'm speechless, I don't know what to say.]
9. Well, butter my butt and call it a biscuit! [Same as 8.]
10. Even a blind hog finds acorns sometimes. [Everyone gets lucky sometimes.]
11. That's gracious plenty. [That's enough; you can stop any time.]
12. [We/they] get along like a house afire. [Referring to a tumultuous relationship.]
13. Well, bless your heart! [When used to actually mean "Fuck you."]
Have you got a favorite you want to share? Just don't go gettin' your gussie up about it!