1. advice (n. opinion or counsel) / advise (v. to offer advice)
Be wise when you advise.
2. aid (v. or n. help) / aide (n. an assistant or helper)
An aide is by your side.
3. beach / beech
A beach is by the sea. A beech is a tree.
4. breath (n.) / breathe (v.)
Breathe with ease.
5. capital (city that is the seat of government; material wealth, assets; first and foremost; first-rate, excellent) / capitol (building where the legislature meets)
Cash is a form of capital. The capitol building has a dome.
6. cavalcade (ceremonial procession) / cavalry (mounted troops) / Calvary (hill outside Jerusalem; a great ordeal)
The cavalry were valiant.
7. coarse / course
We’ve lost our course.
8. compliment (praise, congratulation) / complement (complete or make up the whole)
A complement completes. I like compliments.
9. desert (dry sandy place) / dessert (yummy food at end of meal)
The desert is sand. A just desert is what you deserve. Strawberry shortcake is dessert.
10. discreet (prudent, careful; modest and restrained [noun is ‘discretion’]) / discrete (separate and distinct)
The ‘t’ separates the ‘ee’s.
11. passed / past (no longer current, gone by, over)
The ass passed me. Last year is in the past.
12. principal (main or first) / principle (basic rule or doctrine)
The principal is your pal. A principle is a rule.
13. stationary (unmoving) / stationery (writing paper)
A stationary object stands still. Stationery is paper.
Thursday, March 6, 2008
Labels: Thursday 13