Monday, July 12, 2010

E-Reader Love

by Raelene Gorlinsky

I'm in love - I can't stop fondling and stroking and admiring and touching...my new e-reader.

An Entourage Edge - a high-end e-reader/tablet with internet, email, and a bunch of other stuff I haven't figured out yet. But I've got the e-reader part working and books loaded into the library! Hey, I know my priorities.

http://www.entourageedge.com/devices/entourage-edge.html
It's beautiful - two huge dual screens. Not the best choice for those who want something small to carry in their purse or pocket--this weighs about three pounds and is a whopping 8-1/2 x 11 inches in size, an inch thick. But I love the large reading screen and separate screen for applications. Heck, if I eventually want something small and light to carry in my purse just for reading, the way the e-reader price wars are going hot right now, I could eventually get a nice basic reader for around $100.

This also turned into an example of generational differences in dealing with technology. I took the gadget home last week, squealing in excitement to my 25-year-old son, "Look, look at my new toy!" He, of course, asked what it was and what it did. I said, "Well, I haven't tried it yet. I printed out the 87-page user manual and I need to read that first." "Oh, for god's sake, Mom!" he sputtered as he ripped it out of my hands. Three minutes later he had a bunch of windows open, applications running, was annotating a document...and I was still saying "Wait, where is the On button?" My generation started using computer-based technology when it was extremely easy to break, when you needed to know what you were doing or you'd screw it up. My son's generation grew up with more user-friendly and bullet-proof tech toys, where you can indeed just jump in and start pushing buttons and clicking on things to figure out how it works. I'm trying to learn this attitude , but it's scary--what if I break my toy?!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the last part of your post. I'm the in-between generation, older than your son, but only by a decade or so. So I read manuals, a little. Also, I jump in and start pressing buttons when I lose patience. :D

Barbara Elsborg said...

It's a man thing. They just do and we need to read and do. Instruction manuals are for wimps. Consequently, we have a few left over pieces after the erection of the wardrobe that look worryingly essential to me.

Touch of Ink said...

They're natives and we're immigrants.

Your Edge sounds (and looks) wonderful! I love how versatile it is!

Laurann Dohner said...

I just went and looked at it...way cool! It even takes pictures. LOL. I remember when you had to find a payphone to make a call when you weren't home. LOL. Technology is amazing and intimidating but they are making it easier. I couldn't text on my older flip phone but just bought the new iphone...and it's so simple I can do it! (I just turned it on and played with it since my husband assured me I couldn't break it unless I dropped it really hard.) Enjoy your new toy!!!

Ann Bruce said...

It's okay. I stroke and fondle my electronics too--sometimes in public. You get used to the stares after a while.

Anonymous said...

Nice topic...I like it :))
#1 resource for buying and selling Royalty-free photographs and vector images

Anny Cook said...

Heh. I remember when you cranked the phone and asked the operator to get your party for you...and all the other people on the party line listened in to your call.

Strangely enough, I enjoy the new technology and have a bunch of gadgets I'm still trying to figure out.

Unknown said...

hi, I just visit your blog and It's great...keep it up :)
stock photos | stock images | royalty-free images