Thursday, June 19, 2008

Goodbye, Tasha

by Raelene Gorlinsky

Tasha Tudor died yesterday at the age of 92. A remarkable children's book author, she was the recipient of two Caldecott Honors awards. Her first book was 1938's Pumpkin Moonshine, her last one was Corgiville Christmas in 2003 - I believe she had close to 100 books published. But what I enjoyed most were her Corgiville stories, about an animal village with lots of corgis. Many of her other books also included corgis in the illustrations. Can you tell I am the devoted owner of three wonderful Pembroke Welsh Corgis?

I remember when Dr. Seuss died, when Jim Henson died, when... Sigh, all those great producers of fantasy and fairy tales for young children. I'll miss your stories, Tasha.

3 comments:

Tilly Greene said...

This is so sad. I still have a copy of her Little Princess given to me as a child. Then and now, I'm a huge fan of hers.

Sad news.

Anonymous said...

I have both A Little Princess and The Secret Garden that she illustrated. She did such a wonderful job drawing and painting everyone, I've never been able to see the characters any other way.

Anonymous said...

She was also a master gardner. Many years ago the Victory Garden visited her and she gave them a tour of her garden. A remarkable woman.